Kim Vldes is a Bilingual Licensed Professional Counselor and a Registered Play Therapist. She has been in the mental health field since 1999 as a social work intern in New York. She was a social worker for the City of Pembroke Pines in Florida (2002) and a Developmental Specialist for In-Home Service at Transitional Family Services in Tucker, Georgia (June 2006-August 2009).
Her focus has been on:
- Community work assisting undocumented and documented Hispanic/Latino families via linking them to resources in the community
- In-Home Counseling Services
- Parenting Education
- Domestic Violence Education
- Sexual Abuse Education
- Anger Management
This has included advocating for families in court and in the school system. Kim has worked with individuals/families referred by the Department of Family and Children Services, Behavioral Health Services, and the Gwinnett and Dekalb School Systems. The families that were referred were dealing with legal issues, academic issues with their children, poverty, domestic violence, physical abuse, sexual abuse, and physical or mental disabilities.
Kim is currently working on building and developing knowledge, skills, and experience in several areas:
- Sand Tray World Play–She has participated in Sand Tray Play I, II, III, & IV. She has also completed review trainings for Groups, Families & Couples Sand Tray Play and a 5-day Intensive Sand Tray Play.
- Experiential Play Therapy Approach with Children developed by Byron and Carol Norton, psychologists, authors, and Play Therapy Supervisors. She uses this approach for trauma work with young children and elementary school aged children. The models she works with are Trauma Informed Models, Attachment & Developmental Trauma.
- She is trained in the Brief Strategic Family Therapy Model (BSFT) for Family Therapy and is currently Certified as a BSFT Therapist and continuing supervision for this model is ongoing as a requirement to maintain certification.
If you are seeking help and guidance with your preschooler, school age child, or adolescent, Kim is here to help. She strives to create a safe and nurturing environment in which your child and family can be supported in their efforts to heal and grow, reconnecting to their inner and outer strengths, and dreams.Your child or adolescent may be having issues adjusting to school, making friends, separation anxiety, or more significant issues related to early developmental trauma, sexual abuse, or have witnessed domestic violence.